dinsdag 8 december 2015

Toronto's first cat cafe! TOT The Cat Café!

Hello everyone! 
What a better way to start off a new start of the blog then a post about cats. 

So the other day, I finally managed to check out Toronto's first cat cafe. It's called TOT The Cat Cafe. I'd been hearing about it for weeks but it wasn't until about a month ago that their doors finally opened. And let me tell you, I was ecstatic.  

  
Being the huge animal person I am, my first thought was, "Are the cats treated well?" I had heard some of the awful stories about some of the cat cafes in Japan. Apparently not all of the kitties are treated kindly. I definitely didn't want to be supporting a cause like that.  

But after doing a little Googling, it was clear to me that this particular cafe was more focused on the wellbeing of their cats than making money. Plus, all the cats had come from the Toronto Humane Society and were adoptable!  


A friend of mine had gone about a week earlier and warned me it was very busy. She wasn't kidding. Upon first stepping inside I was met with a wall of people. It didn't help that the cafe was very narrow. On top of that, my mom and I were on a 40 minute waiting list (from what I've read they are working on a reservation system). But I'd rather see the place crowded than dead quiet!  

Like many of the cat cafes in Japan, the cafe area and place for the cats were in separate rooms. This is for food and health reasons of course (but I'm used to a little cat hair in my food anyway ahaha). Though the little room to pet the cats was all glass so we were able to watch the cats in anticipation as we waited for our name to be called.  
                                
 
    
 
Their menu, which was on a giant, black chalkboard close to the cash, was so adorable with names like 'Black Cat Mocha' and 'Calico Macchiato' accompanied by little cat doodles! I've read that when they get the kitchen up and running, sandwiches and soups will be available as well. My mom and I each got a medium Orange Pekoe tea and a slice of strawberry cheesecake. 

We sat around with our drinks and snacks until our names were called. You're allowed to bring your food/drinks in with you as long as you don't share it with the felines. 

As we followed an employee towards the cat room door, he warned us that groups were only allowed 15 minutes inside the cat room. We were also told there could be no flash photography, we could pick up and pet cats but at our own risk (Meaning that they weren't liable for any battle wounds) and that we had to remove our shoes and wear special slippers inside. Now when I heard slippers, I cringed. I was having flashbacks about the slippers I'd had to wear in museums and restaurants in Japan that were embarrassingly too small (I have size 10-11 feet after all). But I was relieved to see that they had a large variety of sizes that were big enough for me.  

 So cute! ;u; 

There was a door and a gate to get inside the cat room. Once the first door was shut behind you, you could open the gate to get inside. Just in case aha! 

The cat room had about 5 cats inside and was decorated with cat themed cushions and a variety of cat toys and structures.  


I actually asked a lady working there if she knew where they got those cushions from haha 

For the most part, I let the cats be. I could tell that some of them were quite people tired and after hours of humans squeezing, picking up and playing with them, the majority of them were ready for a nap. My mom and I wandered around the tiny room, taking pictures and petting the odd cat that walked past us (I know, so boring ahaha). 




Although some of the cats were quite exhausted by the end of the day, it was nice seeing them be able to wander around, interact with each other and with humans. It was better than being in a cage at a shelter. And from what I had been hearing and seeing, cats were being adopted fairly regularly!   

The cats seemed to be quite happy and found little places they could sneak off to when they had had enough.  


So, if you're in the area, is the TOT Cat Cafe worth checking out? 
Yes! If you're someone who can't have cats, is looking to adopt a cat, doesn't want one but wants to be around cats occasionally or you just love cats in general, this is definitely the place for you.    

The TOT Cat Cafe genuinely cares about their cats and their main goal is to get them adopted! Hence the time restriction. As much as I'd love to sit in there for hours, I understand that they want to make sure everyone gets a chance with a cat in case anyone is looking to adopt.

Weekends appear to be super busy though so I suggest coming during the weekday if you can. They are open 10am-8pm Monday through Sunday.  
 298 College St, Toronto, ON M5T 1R9  

Thank you for reading our first blog post! We hope you enjoyed it and stick around for more! ^^ 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten